Outdated ERP System: How Bad Do You Look from the Outside?
You’ve been plugging along, using the same old outdated ERP system for years, after all it still works even without all the bells and whistles of an updated ERP system. What difference does it make anyhow? No one cares whether your system is old or new, this is how you’ve been doing business for a long time. Why spend money on an expensive ERP system when you don’t have to?
Before you say no to a new system, think about how your old outdated ERP system makes your business look from the outside.
- Do you require too many steps to resolve an issue?
- Does your customer have to wait for a callback to get an answer?
- Does your customer have to be transferred to multiple people for their answer?
- Does your customer get a different answer depending on which department they talk to?
- Are your customers frustrated or dissatisfied?
If you answered yes to one or more of the above, then you are experiencing inefficiencies with your outdated ERP system that are risking customer satisfaction levels and how you are perceived by your customers, the outside world.
Analyst Esteban Kolsky studied customer experiences and the impact that the not so stellar customer experiences had on the future of a business, including if the issues were resolved in the end. What Kolsky found was that customers wanted not only an answer to their questions, but that they also wanted the right answer.
- 56% of customers just want the right answer.
- 64% of customers lack the confidence that the answer provided was correct.
- 44% of customers confirmed they got the wrong answer.
What would you think, or how would you feel if you figured out that the answer provided by the company representative was incorrect? Trust would definitely be at risk, plus if multiple incorrect answers were given, then there would probably be some loss of respect for the person on the other end of the line.
Not only do slow responses and inaccurate answers risk your business looking bad, but Kolsky also found that with negative experiences, your business is at risk of losing future business because unhappy customers tend to vent their frustrations more than happy customers share their positive experiences. Here are some statistics from the Kolsky study:
- 67% of customers site bad experiences as a reason to take their business elsewhere; 55% of customers are willing to pay more for a guaranteed good experience.
- 84% of consumers are frustrated when the representative does not have the information needed to help them.
- Customer frustration leads to the following: 13% tell 15 or more people if they are unhappy; 72% will share a positive experience with 6 or more people.
George Washington University also analyzed the cost of a dissatisfied customer, and here is what they found:
- Average businesses don’t here from 96% of unhappy customers.
- For every complaint received, there are 24 people with unvoiced problems, six of which are serious.
- As many as 90% who are dissatisfied with the service they receive will not buy again or come back.
- Of those that complain, 50-70% will come back if the complaint is resolved. 95% will return if resolved quickly.
- Average complaining customer will tell 9 to 10 people; 13% will tell more than 20 people.
- Those who complained and had a resolution will tell five people.
So, are you still thinking no one cares if your ERP system is old or new? Well, you’re right, customers don’t care about your outdated ERP system, but what they do care about is getting what they want when they want it, and it’s all about efficiency. If you can’t get products out the door on time because you’ve unexpectedly run out of an item in your Bill of Materials (BOM), or if your representatives aren’t able to answer customer inquiries quickly or correctly, that’s when the customer becomes frustrated and takes notice of your outdated ERP system. Frustrated customers mean that you are risking losing your marketshare in today’s competitive global marketplace.
If you would like to learn more about how Epicor ERP can help your business look it’s best from the outside while staying more competitive in today’s global marketplace, give MIS a call. MIS has been helping businesses like yours resolve their biggest challenges with technology for 30 years. Our sales team will listen to your current business challenges and provide you with insights as to how Epicor ERP can improve what you are doing today. Learn about the expected Return on Investment (ROI) with Epicor ERP, and then decide for yourself if it’s worth the investment. Advice is always free.
Don’t forget to follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter or to register for a webinar, or subscribe to our YouTube channel for more insights and product demo’s.
George Washington University
Related MIS Blog Posts:
2017 Top 10 ERP Systems Ranking Report: Epicor #1 Overall
Forrester Says: Quick ROI with Epicor ERP
9 Tips To Identifying Your ERP Solution Faster